In 1947, William N. Lane and two partners founded General Binding Corporation (GBC) to meet the binding equipment needs of Chicago’s many printers. The company quickly took off and introduced the Combo comb binding machine in 1960 to make mechanical binding accessible to the masses. A few years later, in 1966, the tabletop laminator was introduced to make laminating more accessible as well. GBC continued to innovate and grow by launching a shredder business in 1973 and expanding into visual communication in 1996. Throughout the years, GBC has succeeded in improving binding and laminating to offer a variety of quick, easy and complete document finishing solutions to meet all business needs.
GBC merged with ACCO Brands in 2005 to become part of the world’s largest supplier of branded office products, consumer products and print finishing solutions. ACCO markets products in more than 100 countries around the world through an internal sales force and numerous distribution networks. The company has a long history of industry leadership and innovation and is focused on delivering products of exceptional value.